Student Visas

Immigration Lawyer in Charlotte

J-1 - The J-1 visa is primarily used for students wishing to attend a college or university in the United States, and whose studies will be financed by either the U.S. or other country's government. This visa is valid for the duration of studies, at which time the alien must return to his home country for at least two years before receiving any other visa. This requirement may be waived by the alien's home government. J-1 visa holders may work up to 20 hours per week, but the work must generally either relate to the academic studies, or occur on campus. There are numerous other possible recipients of a J-1 visa, including teachers, researchers, and au pairs.

F-1 - The F-1 visa is issued to students wishing to attend school full-time in the United States at a qualifying academic institution, in order to obtain a specific degree or certification. The student must first be accepted by the academic institution, and prove that he has the financial ability to pay for the education without government assistance.

M-1 - The M-1 visa is much like the F-1 visa, except that the M-1 applies to students in vocational training programs.